Skip to main content
Facebook icon
Twitter icon

Import Export Code (IEC)

Taking your product or services to the international market helps expanding the business. But visualizing an import/export operation itself can be difficult for an uninitiated person and the job gets more difficult by the various commercial jargons and legal procedures that international trade has. All sellers selling and shipping goods outside India should have an IEC code.

What is Importer/Exporter Code?

  • IEC stands for Importer Exporter Code. The first requirement before you start an import/export business in India is to obtain an IEC.

Who issues an IEC?

  • IEC is issued by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade.

Who requires an IEC Code?

  • Any bonafide individual or company starting a venture for international trade – in short, all sellers selling and shipping goods outside India should have an IEC code.

What are the benefits of IEC?

  • On the basis of IEC, companies can obtain various benefits on their exports/imports from DGFT, Customs, Export Promotion Council etc.

Applying for IE Code

  • IEC is issued by DGFT, Directorate General of Foreign Trade, Government of India and below are the steps to obtain an IEC.

What are the documents in order to apply for an IEC Code?

  • Self-certified copy of Permanent Account Number (PAN) issued by Income Tax Authorities.
  • Current Bank Account
  • Bankers Certificate (Account and Identity proof) – as per format
  • Application Fee Rs.250.00
  • Covering letter on your company's letter head for issue of new IEC Code Number.
  • Two copies of the application in prescribed format ( ANF)
  • Must be submitted to your regional Joint DGFT Office.
  • Two copies of passport size photographs of the applicant duly attested by the bank of the applicant.
  • Self-addresses envelope with Rs.25/- postal stamp for delivery of IEC certificate by registered post or challan/demand draft of Rs.100/- for speed post

From where can one get an IEC Form?

  • It can be downloaded from the website or can be obtained from the counter at your nearby Zonal JDGFT office.

Where do I need to submit the documents?

  • An application for grant of IEC number shall be made by the Registered/Head Office of the applicant and the application submitted at the nearest Regional Authority of Directorate General Foreign Trade
  • Documents need to be submitted to your regional Jt.DGFT Office.
Page ID: